Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Church and Snow... My favorites!

It was so good to be in church tonight! It's a long drive from our house to our church, so things have to work out just right in order for us to make it on Wednesday nights... But we have decided that it's worth the extra time and effort to get our spiritual food in the middle of our crazy work weeks.

Tyler and I have been attending Church of the Highlands for over four years now. When we met, Tyler had been going there for a year or two already, and when we started dating he invited me to come with him. We actually met at the Church at Brook Hills, where I had been going by myself for a while. He normally went to Highlands but just happened to be at Brook Hills the day that we met. I guess he felt sorry for me, being there by myself and all, so he told me I was welcome to come to church with him and his friends anytime I didn't feel like going to church alone... And when a cute boy asks you to go to church with him, you go! Right? Haha!

So Tyler and I have been attending Highlands since the middle of the fifth year of the church, which was born on February 4, 2001. When we started attending Church of the Highlands, they were still meeting in the Mountain Brook High School auditorium. Boy, has it grown! Since then, Highlands has added multiple off-site campuses and built a large main campus off of Grants Mill Road. It is a wonderful place! Pastor Chris Hodges is a gifted teacher with a heart for the lost, and the Lord has truly blessed his ministry. So many lives have been changed... Mine is one of them!

Tyler and I have been very blessed to have met so many precious people through our small group experiences at Highlands, and it truly has come to feel like home to us! Some of our closest friends are people we met in the living room of Everitt and Ruthie Simmons's house for the small group that they host for young married couples. In fact, in the fall of 2009, we were in Everitt and Ruthie's group with eight other couples. Of the nine couples in that group, five of the wives became pregnant with our first children during that small group semester! It was such a blessing to have four other girls who were pregnant at the same time I was! It was so sweet. We understood each other. Now, we have five precious babies, all born within less than four months of each other! First came Laney Marie Marshall (daughter of James and Ashley), then Adelyn (our princess), then Everett Ross Aldridge (son of Jon Ross and Rachel), then Samuel James Claassen (son of Steve and Laura Gail), then London Alexandra Bagwell (daughter of Brian and Kristen). They are all so, so special to us! It has been so much fun watching them all grow, and it will be even more fun to watch them grow up to be world-changers together!

I got off-track again... Church. Where was I? Oh, I remember... Tyler and I have been blessed with so many godly friendships through our church, and we have grown so much spiritually in the last four and a half years, and we officially became members of the church on Sunday--the day of the 10th anniversary celebration of Church of the Highlands! We finally attended the Church 101 membership class and joined the church! We love our church!

So now I'm back where I started! It was so good to be in church tonight! Blake Lindsey, the campus pastor at the Riverchase campus, brought a great message on fulfilling your God-designed destiny, and afterwards we ran into some old small group friends (and a couple of babies, too!). And on top of that, it was snowing!!! Church and snow... Two of my favorites, all in one night! What a great evening!

When we left for church at 6:15, it just had begun to snow... When we got home, our yard looked like this:


Jesus Loves Me! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment