Monday, September 14, 2009

The Wedding



Tyler and I (with a lot of help from my mom and sister) planned a wedding in three and a half months, while he was taking classes and working, and I was finishing my last semester of pharmacy school. It was a hectic time for us, but it was so worth it! I graduated on May 16, and we were married on May 31, 2008! Our wedding was so special (as they all are)! We wanted our wedding to be a fun, comfortable, and laid-back occasion for us and for our guests. We had the ceremony and the reception at my parents' home, where I grew up in Oneonta. The backdrop of the pond was beautiful, and the weather--though hot--was gorgeous! My aunt is a florist, and she did my flowers, which could not have turned out any more beautiful! Instead of a traditional bouquet, I carried a unique arrangement hanging from a silk ribbon and two strands of pearls. I still get compliments about it. Instead of a formal tuxedo, Tyler wore a khaki suit. My bridesmaids wore espresso dresses, and Tyler's groomsmen wore khaki dress pants and pale blue collared shirts with the sleeves rolled up. (They appreciated that, since it was 92 degrees that day!) At the reception, we had fried chicken, ham biscuits, cocktail sausages, cornbread muffins, cheese biscuits, fruits and vegetables, homemade lemonade and strawberry water. But the crowd-favorites were the SIX cakes, five of which my Grandma Sarah made from scratch, and one of which my mom made! My bride's cake was a three-tiered Red Velvet cake. Instead of a traditional groom's cake, Tyler and I decided that we would love for our guests to have their choice of several different cakes. So we asked my grandma instead to make several smaller two-layered cakes, and we ended up with a coconut cake, a German Chocolate cake, a Mandarin Orange cake, and a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. My mom made a strawberry cake, and that rounded out the cake "menu". To this day, we still get wonderful comments about our wedding... Especially the cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment